The manager’s role is basically to make sure that the right people are in the right place at the right time.
- Arrange a time and place for practice. Generally this is a Thursday at Blake Park – the facilities are rostered to make sure all teams get to use the field, the nets and the practice wickets – however feel free to arrange a time and place that works best for you.
- Let parents know when and where the games are. All games are scheduled on the CricHQ scoring website. The schedule comes out during the week – WBOP has a policy of having winners play winners, losers v losers to try to ensure even games. The best place to find this is by following this link: https://bopcricket.co.nz/fixtures-and-results/bay-of-plenty-cricket-association.
- If you’re playing at field with multiple pitches on it, look up the park on the internet and there are usually maps showing the pitch layout.
- Try and make your coach’s life as simple as possible so that they can concentrate on the cricket.
- Get an email and text out to your teams as soon as possible and keep regular contact. Parents really appreciate clear and timely communication.
- Keep emails short and clear.
- Use a spreadsheet to track any info that you need (game availability, etc.)
- Don’t do everything! There are many things to do on a Saturday (finding the field, marking out the boundaries, marking the pitch, scoring, umpiring etc.). Get your parents involved as soon as possible and delegate.
Things you don’t need to worry about
- Subs and fees. This is dealt with by the MMJCC committee and the treasurer.